Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sticker Shock

I'm in a state of shock and denial right now.

I had this wonderful little project in my head.

The kids and I headed out to Lowe's this afternoon to pick up all my supplies.

Paint. Check.

Corbels. Check - whoa!

Wait just a minute.

I check the sticker underneath one more time.....Yep, no change.

$58????  For ONE corbel?

Seriously?

I had NO idea!

This perfect little carved chunk of wood costs $58.



I needed THREE.

I was so disappointed.

You probably can figure out the rest of the story - got paint but left without beautiful corbels and came home to formulate how to make my wonderful little project become a reality without spending $174 on unfinished corbels.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to get around this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

11 comments:

Henley on the Horn said...

I hate that!!! Why does life have to be so expensive? It just is.

Jodie said...

My mom has plaster corbels. Maybe do a search for them and see if they are any cheaper.

Darlene said...

I hate it when that happens! I'm no help at all but I can't wait to see what you do when you figure it out.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I have no idea how to find something cheaper... Do you have a Hobby Lobby??? They are fantastic at having what I want, and it seems like so much is 50% off-Good luck!!

Janean said...

agree with hobby lobby on a 50% sale. thrift store...

they're expensive for sure. i inherited two huge ones, of which i'm very grateful, and will leave them to my family.

Unknown said...

Hey girlie!
I know!!!! Let me share with you what I used.... Remember when I put two in my kitchen? I didnt buy the real wood! Mine were made out of some sort of plaster and were very light weight. They appear white maybe even like a plaster color but once you paint them no one can tell. I think I bought mine at Home Depot. They are right next to the wooden ones and if you cant find them just ask. Oh good luck and I hope you get to finish your project...it sounds great so far ;)
((hugs)) Susie

Shannon said...

Oh my! I would definitely check out plaster ones.

Playing Sublimely said...

Ummmm, I love you. Thanks for your comments...they made me feel a little less like a heel :).
Amy

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

What a bummer! These gals have given you some great advice, though! Hope you can finish your project!

Thanks for the Disney tip :). Good idea to give only a certain amount each day for souveniers. Maybe this way they'll think about what they truly want & not just piddle it away! Thanks so much!

Blessings,
Stacey

Jules from "The Roost" said...

That is so disappointing! I have no idea but check Hobby Lobby if you have one of those.
I hope you are nice and warm this weekend! :)

Cate @ A Tree Lined Street said...

That is so funny, I had the same experience with those same corbels! I have been looking around for some myself and I'll come back and let you know when I find some good inexpensive ones.